This weekend my kid sister started college and I feel so old it’s not even funny. But I want to help, so enter Freshman Friday, a weekly installment using only kitchen appliances that can be used in a dorm and food stuffs that can fit in a mini fridge.
First up, breakfast, the most important meal of the day. The first time that I heard about cooking eggs in the microwave, I’m not going to lie, I was repulsed. But that was years ago (don’t prod because I’m not telling exactly how long) and I’ve been alternating between eggs and oatmeal for breakfast ever since. I like to do this because it’s basic, depending on my mood, I can add veggies, meat, various cheeses, and switch up the bread to suit my needs.
- Eggs (I used egg whites, but whole eggs will work just fine)
- Various spices (I used pepper and parmigiano reggiano)
- Cooking Spray
- Spray the bowl lightly with cooking spray.
- Pour the eggs into the bowl (I used a 1/4 cup of egg whites).
- Add your spices and mix.
- Microwave the eggs until fully cooked (I needed 1:30 seconds for my 1/4 cup)
- From here, it’s up to you. I put my eggs onto a tortilla with a slice of pepper jack cheese and added a bit of grated parmigiano reggiano.
- Alternate Ideas: Add meats (sausage, bacon, veggie bites, etc.), veggies (spinach, onions, bell peppers, etc.), different cheese, or bread (sliced bread, english muffin, none).
- Note: The longer you’re going to go before your next meal or snack, the more veggies you should add.
Final Verdict: Delicious
Let me know what you think in the comments. What are the appliances allowed in dorms these days? Does anyone still use the community kitchen? And laugh now, but trust me, you will get sick of cafeteria food and I’ll be here for you.