Yes, you read that correctly, a vanilla cupcake filled with carmel goodness topped with more carmel goodness.
I’ve always admired filled cupcakes, but never thought I could make them. But lo and behold, they were barely harder than making and frosting a regular cupcake.
There are no ingredient pictures today because I was way behind schedule and it slipped my mind.
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- Cupcakes (I used the vanilla cupcake recipe that can be found here)
- Dulce de Leche
Dulce de leche can be purchased pre-made in a store, but I could not tell you where because I’ve always made my own. I first came across the recipe on A Year of Slow Cooking and thought it was too simple. Put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a crockpot, cover with water, turn on low, and walk away for 8 hours?! It had to be a joke. But, thankfully, I was oh so wrong. It’s a science experiment and the best kind since it results in delicious caramel pudding that could feasibly be eaten straight out of the can. Not that I would know. Just like Stephanie, I do not recommend making the dulce de leche in the can, and if you’re worried, there is an alternate method. But that requires you to dirty more dishes than a spoon. But it’s completely up to you.
- Take a cupcake and starting about 1/4 inch from the edge, cut out the center at an angle so you pull out a cone.
- Next, cut off the tip of the cone you’ve just removed. If that tip should happen to find it’s way into your mouth, I’m not judging. The internet is not the proper medium to judge anyone, right?
- Then fill the hole in the cupcake with dulce de leche.
- Put the “lid” back on the cupcake and push down. It’s okay here if the cupcake looks a little messy because some of the filling oozed out. You’re covering the top (and any subsequent mistakes) with frosting.
- Finally, frost the cupcake. I used an extra large round tip to frost these and a frosting recipe adapted from Mary Quite Contrary Bakes.
Isn’t that the best thing you’ve ever seen? Wanna see the inside? I know you do. Well, ask and you shall receive.
Well, that’s it for today. Next time you need something special, but don’t want to put in a lot of effort, think of trying this.
Final Verdict: Delicious